Follow these smart tips during the current heat wave:
1. If you have any pets, make sure to keep them hydrated and inside when possible. The humidity is a too severe for them.
2. Everyone should drink about 8 glasses of water everyday. When you add a heat wave to the equation, this number can climb significantly since such high temperatures cause you to dehydrate more quickly. If you stay dehydrated, it can lead to illness, which can send you to the emergency room.
3. It’s important to also stay cool while you are driving. Excessive heat and humidity make you less alert on the road, so it’s worthwhile to turn on the AC– or at least drive with the windows down.
4. Overall, avoid any strenuous activity, especially if it is outdoors or in a non-air-conditioned environment. Overexerting your energy will overheat your body and dehydrate you faster — especially in the heat.
5. According to the National Weather Service’s guide to heat safety, if you leave your car in the sun for an hour during a heat wave, a dark-colored dashboard or seat can reach or exceed 180-200 degrees temperature. In these cases, you should put your windows down and blast your AC to cool the car down. If your seat is too hot, you should sit on any available covering you can find in your car (a jacket, blanket, towel, etc).
For further information, you can consult the National Weather Service’s Guide to Heat Safety.